Friday 7 February 2014

Tuesday


A Cactus in Murcia

Waking up again on another bright sunny day, I had a couple of hours to go exploring by myself, so I took another long walk along the River Segura, before meeting Maria later in the day to wander around some more nooks and crannies in the old city of Murcia.

El Jardín del Malecón
The first place to see was El Jardín del Malecón, with its botanical gardens. Having already seen an enormous tree from the genus ficus and a giant cactus, I thought that I would see some spectacular plants in these gardens.

In winter, I am sure that I didn’t see the wide variety of species at their very best, being used to seeing various lush botanical gardens in England and Ireland, where everything looks so green all of the time, but it was good to be walking in the sunshine.

A view from El Museo Hidráulico.
Near to midday, I certainly felt the heat when walking around and, instead of heading off towards the railway station, I decided to pop into the Museo Hidráulico.

I was very interested in the old machinery, the grindstones and the art gallery space too – it reminded me of the museums that I know very well in Sheffield, where water was once used extensively to power the local industries. 

Having misunderstood the time to meet up with Maria, confusing 12.30 and 13.30 in Spanish, I had to cut short my planned exploration of the rest of the old city to see some more of the tourist attractions that Murcia has to offer. Many of the artefacts in the Museum of Archaeology interested me but, unfortunately, my Spanish wasn't good enough to properly understand the descriptions of the various exhibits 

No comments:

Post a Comment