Wednesday 5 February 2014

The Bar Oliver


At the Bar Oliver

For the last year, the Bar Oliver in the Zig Zag commercial centre has been the venue for regular Friday night meetings of the Language Workshop but, to coincide with the second day of the Magos Reyes celebrations, a special event was organised for the Monday night.

As a special guest, I was invited to be the Question Master for the evening and, for more than an hour, I entertained a group of more than 30 people of all ages and backgrounds. Although a very informal event, I had to be on my toes and use my very best English language skills – speaking clearly and slowly, but in an authoritative manner, to an enthusiastic and lively audience who were keen to answer my questions. 

Being Crowned

Having been trying to speak in Spanish all day, it was a bit of a relief to be talking in English again. Bringing my sense of humour into play, the evening was full of laughter and fun and, when the quiz ended, we all sat together talking and enjoying some Roscón de Reyes, another version of which I had also eaten for breakfast that morning.  

The Three Kings
To conclude the evening, presentations were made to the Three Kings: myself and two other native English speakers from Ireland and South Africa, who frequently attend the Language Workshop - and we all made brief speeches. 

I would have liked to have spent more time talking with the people that I met there but, with another chilly winter night setting in, everyone had to get home.



The Zig Zag


No comments:

Post a Comment